How To Own Your Morning, Step by Step
Nov 05, 2018
Carpe Diem. Seize the day. It all starts in the morning. When you take control of your morning, the rest of the day has a far better chance of being productive and fulfilling.
According to Duke University professor Dan Ariely, the first two or three hours of the day is when your brain is fresh and ready (once you’re fully awake). So, if you get out of bed at 6:00 a.m., your window of time for maximum creativity and productivity is 6:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., etc.
Create a new morning ritual for yourself. Here’s an example:
- Get up when the alarm rings. No snooze button allowed. Put your alarm (probably your smart phone) in the bathroom.
- Take your bio break, brush your teeth, and focus your thoughts. This will stimulate your brain closer to an awoken, alert state. As you do these things, pay attention to your thoughts and mental chatter. Refocus them from worry and the daily to-do list back to being present. Make statements of gratitude repeatedly. Be thankful for health, a warm home, running water, etc.
- Pray and meditate. Keep your thoughts focused on the present moment. Push away the others. They can wait. Keep this time between you and God.
- Start your coffee. If you’re a coffee drinker, the smell of fresh ground coffee tends to release “feel good” chemicals in the brain.
- Pet your dog or cat. More feel-good chemicals. Make statements of gratitude for having such a loving pet.
- Listen to inspiring talks or upbeat music. If you struggle with redirecting your thoughts to the present moment and making statements of gratitude, then listen to inspiring talks on YouTube or put on some upbeat music that gets you tapping your foot.
- Exercise. Most any program will work, if it is approved by your doctor and incorporates the right mix of stretching, cardio and resistance training. This needn’t take more than 30 minutes.
- Shower. This will turn you into a superhero after a good workout.
- Get dressed. Being dressed for success changes your mental state. You feel more powerful and prepared for what comes next.
- Have breakfast (and your coffee). Eat a light, healthy breakfast. Stay away from excessive carbs and sugar, and opt for healthy proteins, vegetables, and fruits instead.
- Review your Prosperity Plan. Read your goals aloud. Visualize yourself having achieved them. Review your action steps and choose the top three “musts” for the day.
- Finally, if you must, check your email. Now that breakfast is finished, you’re in a positive state of mind, it’s time to check your email. Sort the unread to the top and flag the priority emails. Ignore the rest for now. Mark them as read and/or put them in a reference folder. Now, read the priority emails. If you can address it in two minutes or less, do it now. If not, convert the email to a calendar event. Close your email and consider your morning ritual finished.
- Launch into your day. Choose your next best action—one that aligns with your three musts for the day, and count Pomodoro’s as you complete the tasks that get this piece of work done.
Want more help improving your productivity? Get back with the person who shared this post with you to learn about the Mentorship360 Mastermind Group and coaching program. It’s invitation only. They can provide more details and explain the application process.
Also, you might find these free e-book downloads helpful:
Seven Steps to Six Figures and Beyond A Guide To Help You Reach $100K, $200K or More
Master Your Money in 7 Days Get Complete Control of Your Money and Enjoy Financial Peace Using the World's Simplest Budgeting Method
Feel free to connect on Linkedin at https://linkedin.com/in/dalegibbons Be sure to personalize your message and mention this site and blog post, or it's unlikely that I will accept your request (sorry).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.